To use our apps and configurations, please sign up for an ExpressVPN account first.
The troubleshooting steps below are for users who cannot connect to an ExpressVPN server location.
If the ExpressVPN application is running properly, but you still cannot connect to our VPN gateway, ExpressVPN will display the following error message:
For Windows and Mac
For Windows (version 3.x)
After each step, check if the problem is resolved.
- Make sure your internet connection is active
- Try connecting to another ExpressVPN Location
- Try changing the protocol
- Try disabling your firewall, antivirus, or anti-spyware program
- Download the latest version of ExpressVPN
- Send in your ExpressVPN log file or diagnostics
- Resolve your log file errors.
- If you run into the Android Tun Missing Driver error…
Make sure your internet connection is active
To test whether your internet connection is active, disconnect from ExpressVPN and try to access a website regularly.
If you are able to access the internet while disconnected from ExpressVPN, move on to the next step.
If you are unable to access the internet even when disconnected from ExpressVPN, you will need to check your internet connection. For Windows users, please perform the following checks too.
Try connecting to another ExpressVPN Location
If you can access the internet when disconnected from ExpressVPN but cannot connect to an ExpressVPN server location, choose a different server location from the list of locations.
You can also consult this guide to choosing the best server location for your needs.
Connect to a different server location for…
- ExpressVPN Windows App
- ExpressVPN Mac App
- ExpressVPN iOS App
- ExpressVPN Android App
- ExpressVPN Linux App
Try changing the protocol
VPN protocols are the methods by which your device connects to a VPN server.
By default, ExpressVPN uses the UDP protocol, which is blocked in some countries, especially in the Middle East.
For optimal performance, please choose the protocols in the following order:
- OpenVPN TCP
Note: ExpressVPN does not recommend using PPTP unless absolutely necessary. PPTP offers only minimal security.
How to change the protocol for…
- ExpressVPN Windows App 5.x
- ExpressVPN Mac App 5.x
- ExpressVPN Android App 5.x
- ExpressVPN iOS App 5.x
- ExpressVPN Linux App 1.x
- ExpressVPN Windows App 3.x
Change the protocol for the ExpressVPN Windows App 3.x:
Under “Change Protocol”, choose the protocol you want to use, then click Back to locations list.
Try disabling your firewall, antivirus, or anti-spyware program
Your VPN connection might be blocked by a firewall, antivirus, or anti-spyware program.
To test this, disable these programs and see if you can connect to an ExpressVPN server location. If you are able to connect, do one of the following:
- If you know how to configure the program that’s blocking the connection, configure it to allow ExpressVPN. Depending on the program, you may need to change the security level from High to Medium, grant an exception to ExpressVPN or to UDP ports 1194-1204, or set it to Trust ExpressVPN. Consult the instructions for your own firewall, antivirus, or anti-spyware program for details.
- If you have the option to reinstall the program that’s blocking your VPN connection, installing it after ExpressVPN is already installed should get it to allow ExpressVPN to connect. Do the following:
- Uninstall ExpressVPN.
- Uninstall the program that’s blocking the VPN connection.
- Install ExpressVPN.
- Install the program that’s blocking the VPN connection.
Download the latest version of ExpressVPN
- Quit the version of ExpressVPN you are running
- Uninstall your app
- Sign in to your ExpressVPN account
- Select Set Up ExpressVPN
- Find and download the latest version of the ExpressVPN app for your device
- Set up your ExpressVPN app
- Connect to a VPN server location
Send in your ExpressVPN log file or diagnostics
Your ExpressVPN log file or diagnostics keeps a record that shows what might be causing your failed connection. Save the log file or diagnostics and email it as an attachment to the ExpressVPN Support Team at email@example.com.
For ExpressVPN 6.x
To save your diagnostics, click the hamburger menu (≡) > Diagnostics > Save to File.
For ExpressVPN 5.x
To save your diagnostics, click the ellipsis (…) > Diagnostics > Save Diagnostics.
For ExpressVPN 4.x
In the ExpressVPN window, click Save Log.
For ExpressVPN 3.x
In the ExpressVPN window, click Save Log.
Resolve your log file errors
Are you tech-savvy? Find out what the error messages mean and resolve the issue yourself.
If you run into the Android Tun Missing Driver error…
If the ExpressVPN app is working on your Android device but you encounter the Android Tun Missing Driver error, click here.