Need a VPN for Mac?Get ExpressVPN Now
Love ExpressVPN? Want a free month?Refer a friend now
The ExpressVPN Browser Extension allows you to remotely control the ExpressVPN app from your Chrome, Firefox, and Safari browsers.
Note: To use the ExpressVPN browser extension, you need to have the ExpressVPN Mac app (version 6.4 or newer) or ExpressVPN Windows app (version 6.2 or newer) downloaded and activated. You cannot use the ExpressVPN browser extension without the ExpressVPN app.
How to get the ExpressVPN browser extension
For Windows: To download the extension, open your app, click the hamburger menu (≡), select Options, then go to the Browsers tab. Click Get Browser Extension and follow the on-page instructions.
For Mac: To download the extension, open your app, click the hamburger menu (≡), select Preferences…, then go to the Browsers tab. Click Get Browser Extension and follow the on-page instructions.
Note: If you do not have Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari installed already, please make sure to download and set up the browser first. You can follow the link from the app to get the browser.
Features of the ExpressVPN browser extension
- Connect and disconnect from VPN. This affects all apps on your system, not just your browser.
- Change VPN location:
- To select another VPN location, click the CHOOSE LOCATION button.
- To connect to the best location recommended for you, click on SMART LOCATION.
- Pick from Recommended locations within the extension.
- Click on Show All locations to open the list of all VPN locations in the Mac app and see “All” locations, “Favorite” locations, “Recent” locations, and location search.
- See your VPN status at a glance: orange while connecting, green when connected, and gray for errors.
- Connect on browser startup to the VPN location you successfully connected to in your browser. (optional)
- Block WebRTC (optional). This will obscure your IP from tests such as https://browserleaks.com/webrtc and ensures Chrome will use the same network path for media as for normal web traffic.
Behavior of the ExpressVPN browser extension
An overview of how the ExpressVPN browser extension operates in various states:
- If both the ExpressVPN app and a browser with the ExpressVPN extension installed are running and connected to VPN, disconnecting the VPN from either the ExpressVPN app or the browser will disconnect the VPN in both the ExpressVPN app and the browser.
- If both the ExpressVPN app and a browser with the ExpressVPN extension installed are running and connected to VPN, quitting the ExpressVPN app will disconnect the VPN.
- If both the ExpressVPN app and a browser with the ExpressVPN extension installed are running and connected to VPN, quitting the browser will NOT disconnect the VPN.
- If only the ExpressVPN app is running, quitting the ExpressVPN app will disconnect the VPN.
- If only a browser with the ExpressVPN extension installed is running and connected to VPN, quitting the browser will disconnect the VPN.
Errors for the ExpressVPN browser extension
Here are a few common errors you may encounter while using the ExpressVPN browser extension. See below for the error and solution steps:
Solution: Make sure your machine is connected to the Internet. You can test this by quitting ExpressVPN and trying to access the Internet.
This extension requires the Mac/Windows app
Solution: Download and install the latest version of the Mac or Windows app. If you still see this message after installing the desktop app, please contact Support.
The ExpressVPN app needs to be opened
Solution: Open the ExpressVPN app on your machine. After opening the app, you can control the app via the browser extension.