For older versions of ExpressVPN for Windows click here
The newest ExpressVPN app for Windows is finally available, and it’s just dying to say hello!
We didn’t think we could do it, but we’ve made it even easier for you to browse and connect to any one of ExpressVPN’s 100+ VPN server locations around the world.
While this new update may look different, it’s still the same great app inside. The new and improved interface makes it easier than ever to connect to your favorite VPN server locations.
Yup, you could say this is ExpressVPN’s most easy-to-use app yet!
We’ve added brand-new images to help give our app an updated look. The new padlock icon above makes it easier to tell when you’re connected to a server location, so you won’t have to waste time wondering if your VPN is connected.
ExpressVPN version 5.0 also features the privacy-enhancing Network Lock kill switch, which prevents Internet traffic from flowing outside VPN tunnel. Find out more about the Network Lock kill switch here.
Oh! And Don’t Forget About the Speed Test!
This feature may not be new, but it’s still great. The fan-favorite Speed Test makes it easier for you to connect to the VPN server locations that offer the best speeds. Go ahead and give it a try!
(Not sure how to make sense of the Speed Test results? Read our guide here.)
Ready to update your Windows app? Great! Just head over to My Account, sign in, click “Set Up ExpressVPN”, and download ExpressVPN 5.0 for Windows.
If you’re unsure how to download, you can check out this step-by-step tutorial for help!
What Do You Think?
Once you’ve had time to break in your new Windows app, let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you! After all, it’s YOU who makes these apps so great! Share your thoughts below!
Previous Windows app updates
ExpressVPN 4.1 for Windows Is Now Available and It’s a Beauty!
The new and improved Windows app is finally available!
We’ve added a bushel of new features, a dash of added privacy protections, and a pinch of updated navigation options to make it even easier for you to find and connect to the best server locations in your area.
Here’s what you can look forward to:
- Speed test is back: Run the Speed Test to find the server locations with the fastest speeds!
- Better privacy protection: Take advantage of our improved security settings to browse with better reliability, privacy, and speed.
- Improved navigation: Browse any one of our 100+ server locations with ease.
- Updated design: Feast your eyes on the brand-new updated logo and design. Don’t worry; underneath all that glitter and glam we’re still the same old ExpressVPN.
The updated location picker also makes it easier to find and connect to the best servers in your area. You can choose from three location options: Recommended, By Region, and By Name.
You can also favorite your most used servers for easy access. Just click the star on the right and you’re good to go.
Two Ways to Download
You can update to ExpressVPN 4.1 through your app, or you can download it from our website by logging in and clicking on the SET UP ExpressVPN button on the left.
After you had a little time to browse around, let us know what you think! We’re committed to making the best possible apps, so hit us with your questions, comments, and concerns below.
Introducing ExpressVPN 4.0 for Windows!
Windows users, your wait is over! We’re pleased to announce the release of ExpressVPN 4.0.2 for Windows. (Psst, Apple users, we released ExpressVPN 4.0 for Mac in March!)
We’ve updated the look and feel of the app, improved the app’s stability, and made it easier to use than ever. Upgrade now to make the most of our VPN service.
How to upgrade to ExpressVPN 4.0 for Windows
There are two ways to upgrade to ExpressVPN 4.0: through the app and through the website.
Method 1 – Upgrade through the app
To upgrade your app through the app itself, open up the ExpressVPN for Windows app on your computer. Click on the update notification.
You will be directed to a download screen. Click the Download Now link to begin your download.
Method 2 – Upgrade through our website
To upgrade your app through our website, log in to your account and click Setup my VPN Account.
You’ll see the DOWNLOAD NOW link on the following page. Click the link to download and upgrade your app.
(If you need help installing the app, this step-by-step tutorial will walk you through the process.)
Let’s take a dive into the newest features:
- Sleek new design. Out with the old, in with the new! We’ve refreshed the look and feel of ExpressVPN for Windows.
- Favorite locations. Mark your preferred locations as “favorites” so they’re always within reach.
- Improved location picker. Filter our locations in 94 countries by region or alphabetically.
- Automatic reconnection. If your connection drops unexpectedly, we’ll automatically reconnect you to the location you were using.
- Seamless in-app help. If you experience issues with the VPN, you can contact a customer support agent without even leaving the app.
- Always know your connection status. The new app indicates your connection status in the taskbar and notification area. We’ve also added desktop notifications so you’re alerted if something goes wrong.
- Express connect. No more switching to the ExpressVPN window to manage your connection! Power users can now connect to and switch between locations from the notification area.
As always, we’d love to hear your feedback. Please reach us via our Contact Us page and let us know what you think!
Announcing v3.416 of ExpressVPN for Windows
New in this version:
- Better support for Windows 8.1
- If your connection drops unexpectedly: ExpressVPN will try to reconnect automatically, and network connections outside the VPN tunnel will not be allowed until the connection is successful again. This prevents your computer from accidentally sending unprotected network traffic.
- Multi-user installs: an admin user can now install ExpressVPN so it’s accessible for all users on a given PC. However, each of those users still needs to have admin rights. ExpressVPN does not currently work for non-admin users.
The upgrade is free for all customers. Simply click the “new version available” link in your ExpressVPN app, or login to our customer dashboard and click the “setup my vpn account” link.
We’re always happy to hear feedback and feature requests. Please write to us if you’d like to discuss anything about our apps or have suggestions for future versions.
Announcing New Version of ExpressVPN for Windows – v3.305
ExpressVPN for Windows 3.305 includes an exciting new feature: automatic protocol selection. We’ve made this the default option for new installs.
ExpressVPN lets you choose between OpenVPN (UDP or TCP), L2TP/IPSec, or SSTP. For most users, OpenVPN over UDP is the fastest and most secure option. It may, however, be blocked, depending on where you are connecting from. The automatic selection feature solves that problem by selecting an alternative protocol without any additional steps.
To manually set the protocol, just click the “Options” button on the app. It is worthwhile to play around with the selection to figure out which protocol works best for you.
ExpressVPN v3.305 also loads much faster than before.
To upgrade just click the “New Version” link in your existing ExpressVPN software.
New Version of ExpressVPN for Windows: v3.112
ExpressVPN version v3.112 is full of new features.
Here are some of the things you’ll notice
-New VPN server recommendations based on where you are located. So depending on where you are connecting from, Los Angeles won’t always default as the first option as it did before.
-To access All server locations instead of just the recommended ones, click the tab marked “All”.
-“Auto connect to best location” button that will choose a location for you automatically
-Now we let you know if your account is expiring and other important messages from within the app. We also provide a direct link to your account page for purchasing new subscriptions, changing your plan, and more.
-If your account has expired and you’d like to activate the app with a new code, you can do that from within the app itself.
Please click the “new version available” link in your existing ExpressVPN Windows app in order to upgrade.
New Version of ExpressVPN for Windows: V3.097
Last week ExpressVPN released version v3.097 of ExpressVPN for Windows. You’ll notice the following improvements:
- “Most Recently Used” locations. This lets you quickly connect to any of your 3 most recently used locations.
- Improved visual design of our scrolling location list
- Under “Options”, there’s a new button “Speed Tests”. This takes a few minutes to run. Our app will measure speeds from your computer to various ExpressVPN locations and report the results securely back to us. This helps us make sure we deliver the best possible speeds to you. If you haven’t already, please run the feature and help us collect more data. Thanks!
To upgrade to this latest version, simply click on the “new version available” link in ExpressVPN for Windows.
Announcing the New ExpressVPN 3.09 for Windows – Upgrade Now
We’re proud to announce the release of ExpressVPN version 3.09 for Windows.
- Easier to use
- Faster connections
- More server choices
The upgrade is free for all existing customers. To get it now:
- Log into our customer portal
- Click “View VPN Account Details”
- In the section “Default ExpressVPN Account”, click on the link to download the application
- Copy the “activation code” listed there, and paste it into the application after installation
Feel free to contact us and we’ll be happy to guide you through the upgrade.
We expect to have a new Mac version available within a few weeks as well, and we will announce it on this blog as soon as it’s ready.