Unblock Wikipedia anywhere with a VPN
Are you using the internet from somewhere that won’t let you access Wikipedia? Learn how you can use a VPN proxy server to access the world’s biggest open-source content library.Get ExpressVPN
Why is Wikipedia blocked?
Wikipedia is home to the biggest open-source database on the planet. With more than 40 million articles in 303 languages and counting, it’s the world’s go-to destination for information.
Unfortunately, some countries censor some or all of Wikipedia. This might be because the government deems the content “offensive,” or it just wants to restrict access to free information.
If you’re in a place where Wikipedia is censored, use a VPN to regain access.
Did you know...
- The most edited Wikipedia page in history belongs to George W. Bush, with more than 45,800 edits and counting.
- Wikipedia is one of the most popular websites in the world, with more than 500 million unique readers every month.
- Wikipedia holds the record for the largest encyclopedia in the world.
- The word “Wiki” is Hawaiian for quick. The term itself has become synonymous with something that can be edited quickly.
How does a VPN unblock Wikipedia?
When you connect to a VPN network, you create a secure tunnel between your computer and whatever websites you visit online. Your true IP address is hidden and replaced with that of a secure VPN server in a location you choose.
Using a VPN lets you appear to be anywhere you want—thereby giving you access to websites like Wikipedia, even when they’re blocked.
How do I use a VPN?
Getting set up with a VPN is simple and only takes a few seconds. Just follow this three-step process.
- Sign up for an ExpressVPN account on the device(s) of your choice.
- Follow the download instructions.
- Connect to any one of ExpressVPN’s 160 server locations to unblock Wikipedia.