What is VPN Split Tunneling?
VPN split tunneling allows you to route some of your device traffic through a VPN while letting the rest directly access the internet.
By using split tunneling, you can enjoy VPN protection while surfing the web and not lose access to local network devices.
Why do I need a split tunneling VPN?
A basic VPN encrypts all of your internet traffic in a secure tunnel and keeps it safe from hackers and third-party snoops.
However, you may run into situations where:
- You aren’t able to access certain foreign and local web services at the same time
- Transmitting all data through the VPN takes up your bandwidth limit
- You aren’t be able to access LAN devices while connected to the VPN
With a split tunneling VPN, you can:
- Stream foreign movies while enjoying web services from local IPs
- Download safely without affecting the speed of other web services
- Access your network printer while surfing the internet securely
Are there any split tunneling risks?
Split tunneling allows some of your device traffic to directly access the internet without VPN protection. This means it is potentially possible for some of your sensitive information to be intercepted by your ISP or other third parties.
To protect yourself, only handle sensitive data or downloads over VPN-protected connections. Check which of your devices or applications are routed through the VPN and use split tunneling to select which of your connections gets encrypted.
How does ExpressVPN splittunneling work?
ExpressVPN split tunneling has two configurations:
- Split Tunneling: protect all connected devices besides selected exceptions, or:
- Inverse Split Tunneling: only protect selected connected devices
By using split tunneling, you can allocate bandwidth to protect connections used for downloading and handling private data while enjoying direct internet access for non-sensitive connections.
VPN split tunneling onExpressVPN apps
ExpressVPN apps use split tunneling to give you a secure and private VPN experience that can be adapted to your needs. Split tunneling is available on:
ExpressVPN App for Routers
You can toggle VPN protection for every device connected to the ExpressVPN App for Routers ON or OFF.
Devices with VPN protection ON will enjoy ExpressVPN’s best-in-class 256-bit AES encryption and have access to over 145 server locations in 94 countries worldwide. OFF will connect directly to the internet and retain access to network devices.