Want ExpressVPN on your router?Get the App for Routers
Stuck and need some help?Contact Support
This article will show you how to connect your ExpressVPN router to the internet without connecting the router to a modem. You can then connect your devices to the ExpressVPN router and use the web securely. This is a process known as bridging.
Note: A bridged connection is slightly slower and less reliable than a cabled ethernet connection.
To connect your ExpressVPN router to the internet without connecting the router to a modem, follow these steps:
- Connect your laptop, phone, or tablet to your ExpressVPN router’s Wi-Fi network.
- Go to www.expressvpnrouter.com and log in using the username “admin” and the 8-digit password found on the bottom of your router.
- At the top of the page, click “Network”, then select “Wifi” in the left sidebar.
- Under “Wireless Overview”, find the SSID you want to use and click « Scan ». Note that radio0 is for 5GHZ signal and radio1 is for 2.4GHZ signal.
- Select the Wi-Fi network you want to connect to (e.g. your home Wi-Fi network) and click “Join Network”.
- In the WPA passphrase, enter the network password for the Wi-Fi network you selected. Name the new network wwan and click “Submit”.
- Click « Save and apply ».
Now you can connect another device you want to use to the router. You should be able to surf the web with this “bridged” device.
To verify that your device is connected to the router, you can use the IP checker to see if you are properly connected to an ExpressVPN server location.