Need a VPN for iOS?Get ExpressVPN Now
Love ExpressVPN? Want a free month?Refer a Friend Now
This tutorial will show you how to manually set up an L2TP VPN connection on your iPhone or iPad.
Prefer to use the app instead? See the instructions for app setup for iOS 10 and above.
1. Find your ExpressVPN account credentials
To set up ExpressVPN manually, you will first need to obtain your ExpressVPN credentials for the manual configuration.
On your iOS device, go to the ExpressVPN setup page. If prompted, enter your ExpressVPN credentials and tap Sign In.
Enter the verification code that is sent to your email.
Select PPTP & L2TP/IPsec.
This will show you your username, password, and a list of server addresses around the world.
Keep this browser window handy. You will need this information for the setup later.
2. Set up your VPN configuration
On your iOS device, tap Settings > General > VPN > Add VPN Configuration…
Then enter the following settings:
- Type: Select L2TP.
- Description: Enter a name that will help you recognize your VPN connection. It might be helpful to enter the location name (e.g., ExpressVPN LA).
- Server: Enter one of the server addresses provided (e.g., la-abc-abcd.abcde.com).
- Account: Enter the username you found earlier.
- RSA SecurID: Make sure this is off.
- Password: Enter the password you found earlier.
- Secret: Enter 12345678.
- Send All Traffic: Make sure this is on.
Then tap Done.
You are ready to connect to the VPN now. To connect, toggle the Status switch on.
When your VPN connection is successful, the Status will change to “Connected.”
Congratulations! You can now begin surfing with freedom and security. Open your web browser or any app, and all traffic will automatically be protected by ExpressVPN.
Connect to a different server location
You can create more than one server connection by repeating Step 2.
To connect to a different server location you have set up, go to Settings > VPN. Tap the name of the connection in the list, then toggle the Status switch on.
Disconnect from the VPN server location
On your iOS device, tap Settings, then toggle VPN off.
Uninstall the VPN configuration
To uninstall the VPN configuration, go to Settings > General > VPN. Tap the (i) icon, then tap Delete VPN.
Tap Delete again.