Need a VPN for Windows?Get ExpressVPN Now
Love ExpressVPN? Want a free month?Refer a friend now
This setup uses your Surface device’s built-in support for a type of VPN called L2TP to connect to ExpressVPN.
If you’re having problems retrieving your account details, you can contact the ExpressVPN Support Team for immediate assistance.
Find your ExpressVPN account credentials
To set up a VPN connection on your Surface RT, you will need a server address and your username and password. This section of the tutorial will show you how to find all of this information.
Open the Welcome Email you received when you signed up for ExpressVPN. Click the link in the email.
If you can’t find the link, log in to your account here.
Once you’ve clicked the link in the welcome email or logged into the website, click on Set Up ExpressVPN on the Active Subscriptions page.
Click on Manual Config on the left side of the screen and then select PPTP & L2TP-IPSec tab on the right. This will show you your username, password, and a list of server addresses around the world.
Please note this information as you will need it to set up your VPN connection.
Configure your VPN
- Click on Open Network and Sharing Center from the network icon on the task bar, or click on Network and Sharing center from Control Panel.
- Click on Set up a new connection or network.
- Select Connect to a workplace and click Next.
- Choose Use my Internet Connection (VPN).
- In the Internet Address field type the IP address or the server name of the server location you want to connect to. In the Destination name field type ExpressVPN (L2TP) and then click Create.
- Click on the Network icon on the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, near your system clock.
- Right–click on the ExpressVPN (L2TP) connection, and choose Properties from the menu.
- Select the Security ta. For Type of VPN, select Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPSec (L2TP/IPSec).
- Click the Advanced settings button and then select Use preshared key for authentication.
- Use 12345678 as your pre-shared key, then click OK
- Click on the Network icon on the bottom right-hand corner, and click Connect to ExpressVPN (L2TP).
- Enter your VPN username and password and then click Connect.
- When the status of the VPN connection says Connected, you’re ready to surf with freedom and security.